Monday, June 15, 2009

HR: Rx

Check out this thoughtful blog/book review written by my old school chum. Great perspective!

Source: http://nicolechilders.com/?p=29

A former classmate of mine, Angela Vaughn Averitt, recently published a book marketed towards Middle School teachers. I ordered a copy as soon as I heard about it, not because I’ve ever taught as much as a flea circus but because I wanted to show my support.

When it arrived, I sat down in my recliner and started reading. With each chapter, I began to realize that although the target audience consisted only of teachers, Angela had in fact penned a book that was perfect for Human Resources departments. With a smile, I recognized that the highlighted childish behaviors of the the students were mimicked by adults in corporate America.

With that in mind, I started over, reading The Middle School Classroom: Rx for Success as an HR guidebook rather than a teacher’s handbook. The resulting read was one of the best I’ve had as a business manager and I encourage others to pick up a copy of this book. Angela explains, often with humor, common behavior issues with Middle School children that you will instantly recognize in your troublesome adult employees. She also boldly chastises teachers who cross the invisible line of acceptable conduct, which you’ll find quite useful as well when reevaluating your HR practices.

Buy a copy for your local teachers and pick up a copy for yourself. As you read it, you’ll realize how little many of us have actually grown up!

No comments: